Are you looking for creative ways to decorate your phone without having to buy a case every time you want a new look? Here is how to make your own decorative phone cases easily and economically!
Basically, all you need to buy is a transparent phone case. You will create the design yourself, using a few simple materials that you probably already have around the house.
The first task is to make a template. So, let’s begin!
STEP 1: Make a Cardboard Template
The materials and tools that you will need to make a cardboard template for this simple project are:
- 1 clear phone case for your phone (I prefer flexible silicon, but you can also use the rigid type if you like);
- 1 sheet of thin cardboard, part of a tissue or cereal box will work well;
- 1 pair of scissors; and
- 1 pencil.
1. Place your phone on top of the thin piece of cardboard, and trace its outline onto the cardboard with a pencil.
2. With a pair of scissors, cut out the outline of your phone.
3. Insert the template into your clear phone case. With a pencil, trace the outline(s) of the hole(s) in the phone case onto the cardboard template.
4. Cut out the hole(s).
Lastly, I suggest you draw an upward arrow to mark the top end of the template.
Now you have a cardboard template to make decorative phone cases with! (Note: You can use this template many times over to create a variety of designs for your phone.)
STEP 2: Select a Decorative Method
Select one of the three decorative ideas below, and follow the corresponding instructions to make your own decorative phone case!
Idea #1: Use a page from your favorite coloring book or magazine
To make a colorfully designed phone case like the ones in the image above, you will need a page from a coloring book or a magazine. If you don’t have either, you can also use wrapping paper, fabric or anything else with a nice pattern.
1. Choose the design that you want to use, and select the area that you like best for your phone case. Placing the clear case over the design will help you visualize the final result.
2. Place the cardboard template on top of the area of your choice, and trace its outline with the pencil. Remember to trace the hole(s) as well.
3. Cut out the the traced outline. Insert it into the clear phone case.
Idea #2: Create your own art
To create a phone case with your own art, you will need a sheet of paper, which is larger than your phone, and whatever you would like to use to make your art (markers or pens for drawing, pieces of paper or fabric for a collage, etc.).
1. Place the cardboard template on top of a blank sheet of paper, trace its outline and cut it out.
2. Fill the cut-out piece of paper with your own art. (Note: Make sure to create your art on the right side of the paper.) You can draw, paint, or even make a collage, as long as the finished piece remains thin and flat.
Insert your art into the clear phone case, and you now have a one-of-a-kind phone case!
Idea #3: Use small memorabilia (stamps, tickets, etc.)
To make a phone case with small pieces of memorabilia, such as stamps and tickets (museum entrance tickets, train tickets from your adventures abroad, etc.), you will need a sheet of clear plastic (for example a clear plastic folder) and a permanent marker.
1. Place the cardboard template on top of the clear sheet of plastic. Trace its outline onto the plastic sheet with a permanent marker, and cut it out.
2. Arrange the small decorative pieces on the backside of your phone, and carefully place the clear plastic sheet over them. (Note: The clear sheet is placed there to prevent the small pieces from sliding around.)
3. While holding the clear sheet in place, carefully put the clear phone case onto your phone.
Now you can carry around a small collection of your memorabilia wherever you go!
With this technique, you can change your phone decoration anytime and however many times as you wish. Not only are these decorative ideas easy and economical, they also make your phone case one of a kind!
Below are some ideas that you may find interesting, either as alternative ways to create your own art for your phone case or as separate craft projects:
Hurray for DIY projects!